Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Birthday Beach Beauty: 30 Day Health Challenge



Every year, about a month before my birthday, I usually tell myself "I'm going to get in the best shape ever this year!" I'll change up my workouts a bit, maybe make a few dietary changes but nothing too revolutionary happens. 

For my husband and I, 2013 ended with quite a bang as we moved cross country. I now have the great pleasure of discounted Herbalife products (thanks to my hubby's job!), unlimited access to the beach and co-hosting a health/fitness YouTube channel! Could there be a better time than this?! This year something is different, though. I don't want any major changes to my body, I don't need to lose any weight, I already eat healthy and I workout consistently. 

So what's the point then? Setting a goal, sticking to it and learning to love yourself because of the accomplishment (not because you like what you see in the mirror) is most important. I just want girls and young women out there to have a love for physically challenging themselves without feeling like a "failure" if they don't meet their idea of aesthetic success. Work hard, exercise, eat healthy and be happy with your own unique healthy body! 

Ok off my soap box! Here are the "rules" for this 30 day health challenge that I'll be working on from January 7th through my birthday on February 7th. There absolutely may be some physical changes from the month and if there is then I'll post some before/after photos but if not, that's ok too. I still set a goal and accomplished it. 

1. Put your spiritual needs before the physical. Physical growth will never be as beneficial as the mental and spiritual. Take time every morning to nurture your beliefs. 

2. Follow the Herbalife diet plan on Monday - Friday. It's pretty easy to follow this Herbalife plan during the week. Saturday and Sunday are harder because schedules often differ on these days. Give yourself a break and healthfully enjoy the weekend.

3. Take your vitamins. I take the Herbalife Formula 2 Multivitamin Complex, Formula 3 Cell Activator and Cell-U-Loss. It's hard to remember to take them all the time, but it takes three weeks to form a habit. Try setting an alarm on your phone and/or getting a cute pill holder until the habit is formed. 

4. Focus less on cardio and more on weights/resistance training. It's easy to be a cardio bunny and I am guilty as charged. Try to limit cardio to 30-45 minutes per day. Instead focus on training those parts of the body that you want to be more sculpted. Here's my current workout schedule. I find it really helpful to add intervals in between sets. It keeps my heart rate up and makes the entire workout feel more intense.

5. Drink more water. Everyone says it, but how many of us really do it? Start off the day with 20 oz of water and then aim to drink a total of half your body weight in ounces by the end of the day. I've found that it helps to try to having most of your water intake "completed" 1-2 hours before sleeping so you don't wake up in the middle of the night searching for the restroom!

Nothing too complicated, right? See ya in 30 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment